For pancakes or waffles, you will definitely find some opportunity to use a homemade fruit jam. It is super easy to prepare and you can make jam out of any fruit you like. ;) I tried jam from blackberries which are quite sour in my oppinion so I used also some sweetener. In a case of more sweet fruit I would skip the sweetener.
To thicken the jam I use the xanthan gum which is made from the outer layer of a tiny, inactive bacterium called Xanthomonas campestris. It is an excellent all purpose thickener for dressings, gravies and sauces. Its unique ability to hold small particles of food together makes it the ideal substitute for gluten in gluten-free baking. Be careful with using xanthan gum, just a little amount can make liquit very thick. For the jam I use just a 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum for 2 cups of fruit and it is enough.
- 2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen),
- 1 Tbsp coconut suger or honey,
- 1 tsp lemon juice,
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum.
- cook the fruit with sugar of honey for 20 minutes,
- add lemon juice and xanthan gum and mix together, if you don’t like seeds in a jam you can blend it, or just slightly mash with fork – fruit itself apart,
- put the hot jam into some glasses, close and turn upside down,
- let it cool and then store in the refrigerator or in another cool place.