This year I decides to make paleo Easter eggs colored by natural ingredients. I found that there are many posibilities. I tried the method with onion peels for brown color, which I like the most, with red cabbage for the blue and with red beetroot for the pink.
The whole process wasn’t difficult and I think it ended well. :-) Although the beetroot made yellow-brown color instead of expected pink or red and the cabbage needed more time. The best way was that with onion peels, next year I am going to find also some new ingredients.
- white eggs,
- flowers and leaves for pictures,
- nylons (I recommend small socks, but also cut classic tights can be used)
- peels of few onions (for brown)
- red cabbage (for blue)
- beetroot (for pink).
- clean eggs with vinegar,
- pull the nylon on your left hand, put some leave or flower to your hand and one egg on it,
- pull the nylon over the egg to press the leave or flower and make a knot,
- take a pot and put onion peels / chopped cabbage / chopped beetroot to it, add eggs and pour water to make all eggs covered by water and vegetable,
- boil for 5 – 8 minutes, ideally overnight,
- let it cool,
- take eggs from the pot, cut the knot and remove the nylon and leaves and flowers,
- wipe eggs and it’s done.